Saturday, August 16, 2008

"Cafe Terrace on The Place du Forum"



























Vincent van Gogh "Cafe Terrace at Night "
b. March 30, 1853 d. July 29, 1890
Dutch Expressionist painter.


"The only time I feel alive is when I am painting.
The emotions are so strong sometimes that I work
without knowing it. The strokes come to me like speech."

~ Vincent van Gogh


Vincent van Gogh's brilliant and dramatic
masterpieces are renowned throughout the world.
The first of the Dutch Expressionists, he used
brilliant color to reflect his visceral feelings at his
deepest level, and his high energy. His frenetic,
brushstrokes reflect the turbulence, of a tortured
soul and life. Van Gogh's expressive style later
influenced many Expressionist artists. Vincent's life
story is as renowned and famous as his art.
He produced landscapes,portraits, interiors, still
life's, and cityscape's. His till life works included everyday
objects; shoes, potatoes, beds, pool tables, books,
and more. Sadly during Van Gogh's lifetime he
never sold one of his paintings. He did in fact give
some of his paintings away.

~ Art Diva of PaintingsToGo.com


Vincent van Gogh Letter to Brother Theo van Gogh
The Hague, 5 - 6 January 1882

Dear brother,

Listen, Theo whats the matter with you?
Didn't you receive my last letter, in which I told
you what happened at home, and how in
consequence I left the house and went back to
The Haque and am now settled in my own studio:
address Schenkweg No. 138 (near Rynapoor station).
You know Mauve helped me to get settled,
but I still have a great many expenses, and for
the last few days I really have not had a penny in
my pocket. Of course I had counted positively
on your sending me at least 100 frs. for the month
of January. But up to now I have not received
anything, not even a letter from you. The worst
is that I cannot work with a model until I have
some money in my pocket again, so I can hardly
do anything, as the weather is too bad to sit outside,
though I tried it it several times. I am all right, but
the last few days I have been faint with suspense.
I have been looking for models, and found a few,
but I cannot take them. In desperation I went to
Goupil's for according to what you wrote me I
thought as a last resort I would ask. Tersteeg to lend
me something. But Tersteeg had just gone out of
town for a few days. I must put on a good face on
the matter when I'm with Mauve ; Mauve has really
done enough. Tersteeg has promised to come to see
me, but has hot been here yet. If for some reason
or other you cannot send me the 100 frs. at once send
me at least part of it by return mail. I found a stamp
in my pocket just now, otherwise I should not be
able to send you this letter. It is a time of struggle
for you and for me, but I think we are making progress.
So let us keep courage. Adieu, with a handshake.
Yours sincerely, Vincent

"This particular Vincent letter, to his brother Theo,
has brought tears to my eyes: tears of reverence, tears of
compassion. How infinitely sad, was Van Gogh's life.
His legacy of magnificient art bears witness to his life
of service, and his passion, for art."

~ Art Diva of PaintingsToGo.com


"He (Vincent) has painted portraits,
which have turned out well, but he always
does them for no payment. It is a pity
that he does not want to earn something,
for if he did want to he could make
something here, but you can't change
a person."

~ Theo van Gogh








No comments: