Sunday, August 10, 2008

Frida Kahlo Art and Quotes

Frida Kahlo - Self Portrait 1940
b. July 6, 1907 - d. July 13, 1954
Mexican painter who achieved
International popularity.

"I live on the air, accepting
things as they come, without the
minor effort to change them,
and all day long I feel sleepy,
tired and desperate what
can I do?"





Self Portrait 1940 - is one of many
self portraits by Frida Kahlo. Each of her
iconic and powerful portraits speaks to me
of her emotional, and visceral turmoil,
and subsequent transformations, during her
short but intense life. This particular
portrait, was dedicated to Doctor Leo Elosser,
and the earrings she is wearing were a gift
to her from Pablo Picasso whom she met while
in Paris. The dedication inscribed in the
banderole at the base of the painting reads:
"I painted my portrait in the year of 1940 for
Doctor Leo Elosser, my doctor and my
best friend. With all my love Frida Kahlo.

Frida Kahlo, had the honor of being the first
woman surrealist artist, to sell a painting to the
prestigious Louvre Museum in Paris.

~ The Art Diva of PaintingsToGo.com


"I must have been six when I lived intensely
with an imaginary friendship with a girl more or
less my age. In the window of my room of
those days, on the side of Allende Street,
on one of the window panes I would opaque it
with my breath and draw a "door" with my finger...
Through that "door" my imagination would go
out, with great joy and urgence I would
cross all the plain one could see until I reached
a dairy store named PINZON...by the O in
PINZON I entered and suddenly I went down to
the insides of the Earth, where my imaginary
friend was always waiting for me. I do not
remember her image or her color. But I do know
that she was happy she laughed a lot. With no
sound. She was agile and danced as if she
was weightless. I followed her in all her
movements and while she danced I was telling
her my secret problems. Which ones? I do
not remember but she knew by my
own voice all my things. When I came back
to the window, I would come in the same drawn
"door" in the pane. When? For how long had
I been with her? I do not know. It could have
been a second or thousands of years....
I was happy. I would erase the "door" with
my hand and it would "disappear." I would run
with my secret and my joy to the last corner
in my home's patio and, always in the same
place under a cedar tree, "I would scream and
laugh amazed of being alone with my
great happiness." and the vivid memory of
the girl. It has been 34 years since I lived this
magic friend-ship and every time I remember it
is more alive and grows bigger and more
and more inside my world. "

I have neither mother or father
to pity my sorrow.
I am an orphan.

All alone I bear torment and disgrace
in the depths of my soul.

Such was the pain
of not finding a good woman
who would fill this great void.
Which they left behind,
with tender love.


"I painted my own reality"
~ Frida Kahlo




3 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the blog about art, please let us know if this is your favorite painting & opinion on the artist's work too.

PaintingsToGo.com said...

This is one of many self portraits I like by Frida Kahlo. Each of her iconic portraits speaks to me of her emotional, and physical turmoil, and subsequent transformations, during her short but intense life. This particular "Self Portrait 1940", was dedicated to Doctor Leo Elosser, and the earrings she is wearing were a gift to her from Pablo Picasso whom she met while in Paris. The dedication inscribed in the baderole at the bottom of this painting reads: "I painted my portrait in the year of 1940 for Doctor Leo Elosser, my doctor and my best friend. With all my love. Frida Kahlo."

Frida Kahlo, had the prestigeous honor of being the first woman surrealist artist, to sell a painting to the Louvre Museum in Paris.

Thank you timeless mom, for your comments, and love of art.

PaintingsToGo.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.